Author Topic: Suggestions Box. Herpetological Society.  (Read 12109 times)

Offline rmg

Re: Suggestions Box. Herpetological Society.
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2009, 19:00:31 PM »
yes that would have to be made clear  and would need to be updated as the society grew...
on the 24th I assume it'll be the number present at the meeting plus any apologies/absentees that have provide paper evidence to confirm their participation that would be classed as the number of members for that night..

Offline igmillichip

• HSI
  • life may be about searching for what we've found
    • The Herpetological Society of Ireland
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2009, 19:29:51 PM »
yes that would have to be made clear  and would need to be updated as the society grew...
on the 24th I assume it'll be the number present at the meeting plus any apologies/absentees that have provide paper evidence to confirm their participation that would be classed as the number of members for that night..

One of the biggest problems of trying to do anything democratically from the start.
It is easy once established.

ian
Frogs (Poison Dart, Pacman, Tree frogs); Fish (Killifish, Discus, other Cichlids, Corydoras, Guppies, Goldfish and more); Reptiles (Chameleons, Bearded Dragons,Geckos); Inverts (Spiders; Insects); www.thehsi.org

Offline rmg

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2009, 20:41:27 PM »
Whats the general consensus on the society's position for education, promotion of conservation of native herps and other non-hobbyist related issues?

Offline Reptile-Community

• Administrator
  • Enjoy RC any problems PM me
    • Ireland's Reptile Community
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2009, 20:45:03 PM »
Whats the general consensus on the society's position for education, promotion of conservation of native herps and other non-hobbyist related issues?

I was then going to write a silmilar post, only difference is i going to ask what RC members thought the aims and goals of the society should be whether it be for the hobbiest, breeder, shop, conservationist ect

Offline rmg

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2009, 20:51:26 PM »
Just as good Mat..one and the same I suppose :)

Offline Reggie

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2009, 21:00:50 PM »
Well a big one that jumps out at me from a person that works in a pet shop is educating Joe Public that reptiles arent the dangerous, extremely high maintenance creatures that everyone thinks they are.

I think a section should go through profiling a member a month or whenever the newsletter comes out as to the reps they have any what got them into it,etc.

Possibly profiling a specific rep or two and care sheets for said rep each issue. Common reps like Corns,Beardys. Throw in a few "cute" pics

Also www.reptile-community.com should be given a profile without doubt.

Ah trying to think of more but brain if fried after a long week......

Like a midget at a urinal i was going to have to keep on my toes..

Offline igmillichip

• HSI
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2009, 22:03:19 PM »

I was then going to write a silmilar post, only difference is i going to ask what RC members thought the aims and goals of the society should be whether it be for the hobbiest, breeder, shop, conservationist ect

In my opinion, these are key important things. I'm surprised that they didn't come up earlier in the discussion. But I'm glad to see them now as they would address the Scope of the society.
From that, we would then get an idea of the 'types' of members, and thence the 'types' of articles in any publications from the Society, and thence to other dimensions.

The 'keeping' side of Herps is a foregone expectation of this society, so, by default, brendans suggestion is very likely to be expected IMO.

Please...look at RMGs and Mat's post above. (I have my thoughts, and if I were to be pushy then I know where my votes would be aimed.)

ian

Frogs (Poison Dart, Pacman, Tree frogs); Fish (Killifish, Discus, other Cichlids, Corydoras, Guppies, Goldfish and more); Reptiles (Chameleons, Bearded Dragons,Geckos); Inverts (Spiders; Insects); www.thehsi.org

Offline rmg

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2009, 22:05:03 PM »
Those suggestions are great for education on a hobbyist front..

But what about the science? the native herps?? including those found in the marine enviroment?

Does anyone have any suggestions/thoughts on including this sort of issue??

Offline morelia

• AUSSIE PYTHONS ALL THE WAY
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2009, 23:14:24 PM »
I guess it really depends on whether there are people in the society that know quite a bit about native herps, so that part of the society's goals would be educating the public about our herps - common frog, smooth newt, natterjack toad, common lizard and the handful of sea turtles we get around our coast.

Perhaps part of this would involve liasing with and helping out organisations that already monitor / study / aim to conserve these species - e.g. I know a few biologists studying some of our native herps and I'm sure they wouldn't mind interested people from the society helping them out with their work; that way we get first-hand experience working with these animals and also have access to superb sources of knowledge to help us along!

One thing the society could do that springs to mind immediately is organise an annual survey of amphibian populations in Ireland to monitor for chytrid fungus. At the same time it would be possible to obtain an 'index' of amphibian abundance at the chosen sites so that, over time, changes in abundance can be measured and seen first hand. Both of these surveys would be very beneficial to our herps and also give the society a good start and possibly some very nice publicity.

Morelia - definition: top notch snake totty

Ireland distributor for

Offline rmg

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2009, 23:41:58 PM »
This is exactly the kind of thing im talking about.
But it's these kind of people you need at the meeting...these are the people you need to be members of the society steering committee/ voted committee and not just having them helped society members

It makes more sense to get them on board than to just aid them

Offline Per N

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2009, 00:04:13 AM »
I agree that it will probably be good to have some people like that on the commite but not only, it would benefit to have a multitude of different kind of hobbyists and professionals to make it open and available to everyone who wants to.

Both the hobby and the science is two very important parts of it. Not going to make this longer as I am on the mobile internet but there has been some really good points raised here :)

There is two kinds of reptiles, retics and the ones that wish they were retics...

Offline igmillichip

• HSI
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2009, 00:24:40 AM »
My thoughts are fully with what RMG has brought up a few posts earlier.

Whilst I may be biased because of having a very strong science bias, I believe there is a challenge for both the scientific community and the keepers community. I believe that with proper organisation and communication, that challenge can be met by a society such as this proposed Society.

Education is a key item. It can be at different levels; individuals have a choice which bits of the education takes their fancy: but the Society, maybe, should strive to provide, and cause to happen, such education or awareness of the science of ALL herps (beit exotics or native), conservation issues and conservation efforts etc

There is, of course, a lot of detail that could be gone into, such as 'how' or 'who'.....but that is only detail; the detail matters very little if the baisc framework or ethos is not in-place.

As we see on the RC forum, there are various Sections. We tend to visit or spend time on the ones in which we have an interest, but also venture to ones that wouldn't normally interest us....and find something interesting there. Hopefully, what we find will educate....or inspires awareness or intrigue.

Something else that comes into this is the fact that herps attracts a lot of young keepers. The very nature of herps gets people involved with the science almost immediately (it isn't a simple matter of 'here is the beardie, it eats food and needs an tank' is it)....the young members are our future scientists and keepers.

Excuse my philosophies....but we could miss open opportunities if we don't embrace prospects within a well-built framework.

and as I was typing this....RMG and Per added comments above....I agree with both on that. So, I’ll re-paste their comments below (and hope it doesn't confuse):

ian

RMG's response to Morelia   
http://reptile-community.com/smf/index.php?topic=4305.msg41244#msg41244
This is exactly the kind of thing im talking about.
But it's these kind of people you need at the meeting...these are the people you need to be members of the society steering committee/ voted committee and not just having them helped society members

It makes more sense to get them on board than to just aid them

Per N   
http://reptile-community.com/smf/index.php?topic=4305.msg41248#msg41248
I agree that it will probably be good to have some people like that on the commite but not only, it would benefit to have a multitude of different kind of hobbyists and professionals to make it open and available to everyone who wants to.

Both the hobby and the science is two very important parts of it. Not going to make this longer as I am on the mobile internet but there has been some really good points raised here :)

Offline Reptile-Community

• Administrator
  • Enjoy RC any problems PM me
    • Ireland's Reptile Community
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2009, 00:55:45 AM »

Education is a key item. It can be at different levels; individuals have a choice which bits of the education takes their fancy: but the Society, maybe, should strive to provide, and cause to happen, such education or awareness of the science of ALL herps (beit exotics or native), conservation issues and conservation efforts etc

Something else that comes into this is the fact that herps attracts a lot of young keepers. The very nature of herps gets people involved with the science almost immediately (it isn't a simple matter of 'here is the beardie, it eats food and needs an tank' is it)....the young members are our future scientists and keepers.

Ive quoted a couple of sections from Ian post, as this thread has had some great suggestions and idea's posted so far, but i'd like to hear from some of the younger members on the forum as there is a few and your imput is as valued as everyones and will be listened too so please contribute and say your thoughts?

Offline Reggie

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2009, 09:53:04 AM »
How about a kids corner,reptile related crossword? Guess the lizard etc?
Winner get a free voucher on rep direct which we would pay as a commitee first

Like a midget at a urinal i was going to have to keep on my toes..

Offline Vinnie

• I dont suffer from insanity, i enjoy it!
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2009, 10:37:55 AM »
What way is the voting going to go, as in will attendees nominate people first and then vote, or just have a sealed vote straight away?
Is this going to be the first thing on the agenda?

If you(i say you as in general) include absent members that have sent apologies, what happens if there's not enough at the meeting to fill the quota for a vote?

My feelings on it would be that who ever is there is entitled to vote and they are the only ones that should be considered, this is a steering committee and will be adjusted as the society progresses, i am not being selfish because as it stands i don't even know if i can make it yet, I'm just being realistic.

If its going to be a sealed vote, ill supply the envelope and paper.

There's alot of talk about what will the society be about and what will it do, i have not participated in those talks for the simple reason i want to see it up and running first, sort of walk before you can run, not trying to be negative or anything but that's just the way i feel. Its grand saying that this type and that type of person should be on the board, but as it stands i think we all know who we want up there at the start, there's no use trying to put strangers forward for positions, they could be considered for the committee when the steering com sees fit to stand down or is removed but they would want to attend meetings to get to know people before anything is put forward, no matter what credentials a person has its just words on paper to me until i meet them and get some personal experience of them.

What kind of turn out is expected? There was so many people, Dublin residents and country wide saying that they would love to attend the last get together(i didn't call it the first meeting as i dont think it should be classed as the first, it was get together for a chin wag) but it was so close to xmas, and they had no transport or whatever the reason was, these were the people that were shouting for minutes and second by second details, i just hope you all turn up this time, you've had plenty of time to get things sorted.

Sorry, im bored in work and im waffeling a bit or alot.....
Reptiles are so 90's!!!