Author Topic: Suggestions Box. Herpetological Society.  (Read 12109 times)

Offline igmillichip

• HSI
  • life may be about searching for what we've found
    • The Herpetological Society of Ireland
Suggestions Box. Herpetological Society.
« on: February 04, 2009, 20:53:08 PM »

Having announced a meeting to put in-place a Herpetological Society in Ireland, it is time to collate some ideas/suggestions to be considered at either the meeting on 24th February 2009, or by the stated Steering Group, or for future considerations.

It is hoped that all reasonable and practical suggestions on any topic relating to said Society would be treated with equal fairness. 
It is hoped that this will be an inclusive society with an equally inclusive allowance of opinion.

There are options to have your say represented:
    1. via the published e-mail; or
    2. by means of PM to a moderator of this Section; or
    3. this "Suggestion Box" thread.

Remember that, apart from standard society practices, nothing is set in stone yet.

So, please welcome and respect all suggestions.

It is assumed that all have read the general rules applied to all sections of RC at http://reptile-community.com/smf/index.php?topic=3.0.

Suggestions, Please….

Frogs (Poison Dart, Pacman, Tree frogs); Fish (Killifish, Discus, other Cichlids, Corydoras, Guppies, Goldfish and more); Reptiles (Chameleons, Bearded Dragons,Geckos); Inverts (Spiders; Insects); www.thehsi.org

Offline igmillichip

• HSI
  • life may be about searching for what we've found
    • The Herpetological Society of Ireland
Re: Suggestions Box. Herpetological Society.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 21:38:43 PM »
Some ideas that come to mind are:

The society will need to have a name for itself.
A logo would be great.
Fundraising.
Format and scope of the Newsletter....start small and aim big?; start big and keep it that way? and can the society get a cheap method of producing what will probably be the single biggest expense?
The Steering Group will need to be formed on Feb 24th.........hopefully, people will be thinking about what role they might wish to play or what roles should be within the Steering Group: Chairperson, Treasurer, Secretary, PR, Publications, etc etc. 

And other questions/suggestions.

(just a few questions that need answers, and decisions, at some stage)

ian
Frogs (Poison Dart, Pacman, Tree frogs); Fish (Killifish, Discus, other Cichlids, Corydoras, Guppies, Goldfish and more); Reptiles (Chameleons, Bearded Dragons,Geckos); Inverts (Spiders; Insects); www.thehsi.org

Offline Reggie

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 23:10:09 PM »
Might i suggest Ian creating a bank account and for members to set up a direct debit for say, €5 a month to help finance newsletter?
How you are going to circulate it is another issue..

Also having meetings in different locations on a bi-monthly basis to help facilitate members geographical restrictions?

I think once objectives are finalised at the first meeting a name and logo will fall into place.

Can we get Ben on board,possibly james in Reptile Village,

Chairman: Ian
Treasurer: Morelia
Secretary: Lauren/Per N
PR: SCI
Publications: whoever has the contacts!

Just suggestions

Brendan

Like a midget at a urinal i was going to have to keep on my toes..

Offline Reptile-Community

• Administrator
  • Enjoy RC any problems PM me
    • Ireland's Reptile Community
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 00:17:52 AM »

ian

Without trying to cause arguements its just an opinion, but before the society can pick a name, the society will first have to decide if its to be a national society ie. the only one with perhaps regional meetings around the country, or a national society which in time will have smaller regional societys unders it umbella, or a stand alone society ie. dublin herp society. Which type would you like to see start?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 00:20:19 AM by Reptile-Community »

Offline Viatrix

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 00:49:58 AM »
Might i suggest Ian creating a bank account and for members to set up a direct debit for say, €5 a month to help finance newsletter?

Also having meetings in different locations on a bi-monthly basis to help facilitate members geographical restrictions?

I think once objectives are finalised at the first meeting a name and logo will fall into place.

Just suggestions

Brendan

Ben was at the first meeting, but like the forums, he stays out of it ;) Its just the way it is, Graham, Craig and James who work there were at the first meeting too so they could be seen as a link to him :)

Mat, this constantly comes up, its quite obvious that its not just Dublin, so I think what Ian is asking is for national society names, or to use another word, Generic Society names :P Its also important to think of the initials, I would suggest Herpetological Society Eire/Ireland but HSI/HSE is easy to confuse with other things :P

Thats just my opinion, Chairman Ian may think differently ;D
RELEVANCE?! Look below :)

Offline FionnanBurke

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 07:58:51 AM »
Regarding the news-letter. Would it be an option to keep the newsletter online? Maybe draw it up as a PDF and post it somewhere here or e-mail it to the distribution list? It would cut down on costs and everybody is online anyway.
Just a suggestion.
Follow The Herpetological Society of Ireland on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/hsi.fan

Offline Dutchology

• Milca G. Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 09:54:27 AM »
Regarding the news-letter. Would it be an option to keep the newsletter online? Maybe draw it up as a PDF and post it somewhere here or e-mail it to the distribution list? It would cut down on costs and everybody is online anyway.
Just a suggestion.

You got there just before me...! :)

Though I think that having the likes of the newsletter freely available in local petshops that will allow it would be a great boost...

Offline Vinnie

• I dont suffer from insanity, i enjoy it!
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 10:03:11 AM »

ian

Without trying to cause arguements its just an opinion, but before the society can pick a name, the society will first have to decide if its to be a national society ie. the only one with perhaps regional meetings around the country, or a national society which in time will have smaller regional societys unders it umbella, or a stand alone society ie. dublin herp society. Which type would you like to see start?

I would consider this coming meeting as the first really, the last one was throwing ideas around. This meeting will discuss in detail all aspects of the society including the question you asked. Its very hard to answer a question like that online since there is no board, no chairperson etc... Although we all have it in our own head who we're gonna nominate. Mat these are the types off things that need to be brought up in the coming meeting. You need to attend the meeting and put your points and question forward.
Reptiles are so 90's!!!

Offline Reggie

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 11:06:02 AM »
Just a suggestion.

I hear what your saying about it being online and its a good point in terms of cutting down on costs but i think to reach max amount of people it needs to be in both digital/paper form.

Like a midget at a urinal i was going to have to keep on my toes..

Offline Reptile-Community

• Administrator
  • Enjoy RC any problems PM me
    • Ireland's Reptile Community
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 11:16:17 AM »

ian

I would consider this coming meeting as the first really, the last one was throwing ideas around. This meeting will discuss in detail all aspects of the society including the question you asked. Its very hard to answer a question like that online since there is no board, no chairperson etc... Although we all have it in our own head who we're gonna nominate. Mat these are the types off things that need to be brought up in the coming meeting. You need to attend the meeting and put your points and question forward.

Vinnie, i agree with you, i was not looking for answers or trying to bring up the past arguements, i thought i'd just ask others views on the subject, no point having a suggestion post or this section at all if we cannot share ideas that may then be taken to the first meeting!

Offline GaryR

• WIMP DESTROYER
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 11:38:25 AM »

I see that you are suggesting members from Northern Ireland for certain positions in the hierarchy,they are obviously from a different country,so I guess that can be classified as a "geographical restriction",therefore,can we assume that meetings would be scheduled and held in locations that facilitated these members should they be voted through and accept the posts?

I felt a surge of power....like God must feel,when he's holding a gun....

Offline rmg

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 12:02:46 PM »
Like other internsational herpetological societies any member of the society can be a council member however the regional meetings usually only occur within the country in which it operates and has been established in..e.g B.H.S, S.H.I only hold their meetings within Britain and Italy respectively..

I suppose it would have to be decided what the definition of 'Irish' or 'Eire' or whatever name given is in relation to 'regional meetings'..

Do the 6 counties in Northern Ireland constitute being apart of the society's definition of 'Ireland' or is it only deemed to be an organisation within the Republic?

In my opinion these should be points raised at the meeting..

Good point Gary...  :)

Offline reptileman1991

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 12:14:03 PM »

Just suggestions

Brendan

Ben was at the first meeting, but like the forums, he stays out of it ;) Its just the way it is, Graham, Craig and James who work there were at the first meeting too so they could be seen as a link to him :)

Mat, this constantly comes up, its quite obvious that its not just Dublin, so I think what Ian is asking is for national society names, or to use another word, Generic Society names :P Its also important to think of the initials, I would suggest Herpetological Society Eire/Ireland but HSI/HSE is easy to confuse with other things :P

Thats just my opinion, Chairman Ian may think differently ;D
james wasn't with us that night man,i think he was busy

4 Bearded Dragons,2 Crested Gecko's,2 Tomato Frog,Poison Dart Frog,Rice Frog,Giant Asian Praying Mantis,Tropical Fish, King Charle

Offline morelia

• AUSSIE PYTHONS ALL THE WAY
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 12:17:38 PM »
I think the word 'Ireland' in the name would make for the loosest geographical term as it could be taken to mean both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, and also doesn't at detract from the fact that the society is, after all, forming in RoI.

I also think the online newsletter is great for members, its free and easy. The most efficient and cost-effective way I can think of to get it into petshops etc. is for each member to easily print off a few copies, staple each and put it up around their area. That way the society reaches the widest geographical area possible and as all members have an equal responsibility to do it, it saves one or two people a lot of printing and a lot of driving!

I also think a dedicated website for the society is a good idea - not knocking this forum and its tie with the society at all, just that for people wanting to join, the ability to visit a dedicated website with a mission statement, photos and itinerary of events etc. would make the society very accessible and open to all.

Talking of mission statements, I guess thats another thing to get down on paper in the early stages - especially if the society will be active in promoting the hobby in a positive light and fighting our right to keep herps.
Morelia - definition: top notch snake totty

Ireland distributor for

Offline morelia

• AUSSIE PYTHONS ALL THE WAY
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 12:21:25 PM »
Oh, and I also second Brendan's idea of having a society bank account into which subscriptions could be paid e.g. by direct debit.

I know a few people in NI who are very keen on joining :)
Morelia - definition: top notch snake totty

Ireland distributor for