Author Topic: A little explanation  (Read 173 times)

Offline mendel28

• Global Moderator
A little explanation
« on: July 10, 2017, 21:41:45 PM »
Hi everyone.
I've been completely AWOL for some time now. I feel like i need to explain and get some things off my chest i guess. Some of you will know that animals are my work and my hobby. And while work, thankfully is going very Well,  unfortunately my own collection (geckos and dart frogs) has gone through some problems over the last couple of seasons and quite honestly it absolutely sucked the joy out of the hobby for me. I've fought and struggled and attempted to solve the problems and thank the exotic pet gods, I've seemed to have turned the corner. But given the forum is here for discussion and learning, I thought I'd lay it out and hopefully people won't have the same mistakes I have.
It all started with of all things, my supplementation products. At the time I was using vionate and zoo med calcium plus d3. As I always Did, I bought online, the cheapest spot in could find. I used it for the breeding season and thought no more about it. That season was poor. Very few fertile eggs, and lots of babies developing mbd. Also i had 4 egg bound females requiring surgery that season. I couldn't figure it out. Unfortunately I did. My supplements that I bought in good Faith, were long out of date. So lesson number one, be 100% confident in your choice of supplements and keep them in the fridge! They really are an essential element to keeping our animals healthy. Don't scrimp on the cost! For the record I now use rapashy products exclusively across my species. All my geckos now also receive UV supplemtation ( whether "required" or not).
Secondly, the quality of food you offer is paramount. I buy lots of items from the continent, especially for my frogs. One one occasion I bought live food from a supplier I wasn't familiar with. How wrong could it go? Pretty wrong. I don't have exact evidence, but I strongly believe the love food introduced a heavy worm burden to my animals. They tested very heavily by faecal exam and were in poor body condition relatively for my animals. All required treatment, just in case, and thankfully all are tip top now. But find a supplier you trust! That's all I'll say!
The next lesson learned in a round about way, was biosecurity. In case you dont know, crypto is not a disease exclusive to reptiles. Cattle and other animals also get it. My busiest time at work and with my geckos is spring time. I am hugely excited by the prospect of new babies and occasionally I'll pop home during the day to see if there are new arrivals. In the space of 2 weeks I lost 8 animals, death occurring within 4 days of going off their food. Again a mystery. I humanely put to sleep 4 others and sample were sent to lab's for diagnosis. We have in house crypto kits for diagnosis of crypto. And out of curiosity I used one and it was positive. I was devastated. I began to believe that i had possibly introduced it on a visit home. I put biosecurity measures in place, gloves, disposable gowns, hand sanitizer, you name it. And things called down. Results from the lab however indicated overwhelming bacterial infection of unknown origin. Then the boil water notice was printed inn the paper. The news came too late for me. The local mains supply was compromised and lead to my geckos death. In a way I was relieved that I personally hadn't reintroduced crypto,  however it opened my eyes to the need for strict biosecurity and using water for drinking and cleaning to be 100% safe for use. I now use mineral water exclusively for anything required from drinking water to humid hides.
I'm not sure I can't point the finger of blame at myself for any of the issues I've encountered but it certainly has opened my eyes to what can go wrong. Quite frankly I am anal about what is happening in the gecko room now and in that regard I take a positive from this whole experience. I believe I'm on top of things now and hoping for great things next season.
Also now that I have things to be excited about and proud of Again, I intend to be more active on the forum as before.
So thanks for letting me rant and reading this. Also thanks to Mat, Jen and JimmyB for being good listeners over the last couple if seasons. It was much appreciated.
So all in All, be careful folks!
Greg
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 22:07:56 PM by mendel28 »

Lots of Leos, AFTs, E. Hardwickii and Smooth knob tail geckos.

Offline leahy12

Re: A little explanation
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 21:19:02 PM »
sorry to hear about the trouble u had, i knew u had a rough few seasons just didnt realise things went so bad for you! great to hear that uve turned the corner, hope it all comes together for you :)

Offline mendel28

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 21:41:42 PM »
Thanks a lot Stephen I appreciate that. I'm back on track now it seems! I no longer dread going in to the animals room! The simple pleasure of keeping them, getting good strong eggs and healthy babies is back. It's great! :)

Online GeorgeyM

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 13:21:53 PM »
All great points to bring up. I am very sorry for your loses and may you have better luck in future Seasons. I myself keep multiple darts species and multiple anoles species. I would like some geckos species mostly dewaft species I like phelsuma so much more rewarding offering them a planted vivarium with micro climates. I use distilled water for everything maybe a little over kill but known what's in tap water I wouldn't risk using it. I also us gloves and change between viv to viv. I've a few resued animals and what they came to me with i the vet bills have added to a huge sum of money. But then again that's why it was a rescue I didn't just want them for free. But one thing I learned was bio sucurity is very important. I use local shops when fly cultures crash and mite investations soon follow. So I try breed all feeders and cultures myself. Gives me more control what I introduce into my reptile room.  If or when you have tadpoles or gecko hatchlings gives a message if your looking to sell them. I'm always looking to expand my dart frogs and would like some gecko species. Again sorry your you streak of bad luck but it's good example of what can happen.

Offline leahy12

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 22:08:24 PM »
thats great to hear greg delighted uve managed to get back on track again, sure might see u soon, :)

Offline mendel28

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 22:18:04 PM »
I'll pop by your table on Sunday :)