Author Topic: Spider molt  (Read 554 times)

Offline Sylvi

Spider molt
« on: September 08, 2016, 15:40:32 PM »
I took a picture of my salmon pink molt for sexing, it's a nice and clear female for those who want some practice.

Offline Thoir

Re: Spider molt
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 17:29:20 PM »
How do you tell if its female? I have one of these birdeaters, I just threw out last molt but will be good to know for next time.

Offline Sylvi

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 18:00:56 PM »
Open the molt out carefully spraying it with water so it doesn't tear, I use a water colour paint brush and a cocktail stick. I usually lay them on kitchen roll or a tissue to do this.
Looking at the inside of the abdomen. Look between the top book lungs - the 4 white/grey patches on the abdomen. There is a curved line joining the top two which you can also see on the outside of the tarantula. In the female this is a slit. Here are found the female sex organs which look like a pair of bunny ears - you can see them in my photo as I held it up to the light, they are called the spermatheca. There is also a flap on the lip of the slit. This is where the male tarantula puts his pedipalps when they mate.
On the male tarantula molt, this line can be seen but there is no slit and no female spermatheca. Sometimes there is just a round dot in the middle of the line which can sometimes be seen from the underside.

I'll find some good photos to put up to show you.

Offline Sylvi

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 18:13:04 PM »
This is a male molt I had from a while back.
It's pointing downwards! So looking between the top book lungs you can see there is a line but no slit, and there is a dot in the middle.

Offline Thoir

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 21:27:01 PM »
Found this molt from a different spider but it was all shriveled up, I can't make anything of it anyway :P

Offline Sylvi

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 22:10:07 PM »
You need to open it up, you have a top and bottom - the left hand side as we look at it,  book lungs showing and the other right hand side is flapped over. Carefully un peel it and straighten it. There are 4 book lungs there so hopefully the bit between the top 2 lungs is there to look at.

Offline Sylvi

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 22:14:43 PM »
The left hand side of the molt, not the left hand side of the picture I mean. Give it another spray and have a go, it just takes practice :D

Offline Sylvi

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 22:25:42 PM »

Offline Sylvi

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 22:40:52 PM »
a borrowed piccy

Offline Sylvi

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 22:50:25 PM »
Borrowed picture.

Offline Thoir

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 11:46:36 AM »
I got the other side of the abdomen unpeeled.. your instructions helped a ton really appreciate that thanks!

The lighting in the picture sucks, I soaked up some water to stop it reflecting. It appears to me to be a female? I think :)

Offline Sylvi

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 12:56:30 PM »
If you carefully hold it up to the light like I did in my first photo it comes a lot clearer. Also google tarantula sexing images and compare photos :D